broken pipe

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 2 00:39:19 EDT 2003

"N. Leenders" <nadine at ualberta.ca> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm attempting to set up a slave kdc, but am getting a broken pipe
> message:
>
> kprop -f /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans nickerberos2.nic.ualberta.ca
> Broken pipe

Is there any error logged by kpropd on the other side?

> write(4, "\0\0\32\313", 4)              = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
> --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGPIPE +++
>

> Any ideas what to check?

It looks like the server is dropping the connection for some reason.
Perhaps it's crashing.  Perhaps it's decided that the client principal
sending the data shouldn't be allowed to send it; I don't know offhand
if the error is properly reported to the client in that case.  Have
you checked the ACL on the receiving side to ensure that the sending
host's host principal is listed?

If there's nothing logged, try running kpropd under strace too...

Ken