regarding TXT and SRV records

Arun Perinkolam arunp at sun.com
Fri Apr 25 12:06:58 EDT 2003

you should probably try building the mech with -DKRB5_DNS_LOOKUP and
-DKRB5_DNS_LOOKUP_KDC, which will take care of both kdc and realm
mapping lookups.

If you are planning on doing both the kdc and realm mapping lookups,
just specifying "dns_fallback = on" in [libdefaults] should work.

-Arun

>Hi,
>I've recently started with mit kerberos 5, and would love to get dns
location of both the realm and the kdc, _and get rid of krb5.conf
entirely_

>My problem is that I can't seem to get the necessary support compiled
in the even get the krb5 client to do TXT record lookups, tcpdump
doesnt show them coming from the client.  If I force the realm with
default_realm, I can then get the client to emit SRV lookups for the
kdc.

>Some documents online have suggested removing the /etc/krb5.conf
entirely.  This doesnt work, I get

>$ ls -l /etc/krb5.conf
>ls: /etc/krb5.conf: No such file or directory
>
>$ sudo tcpdump port 53  &
>tcpdump: listening on eth0
>$ /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit
>kinit(v5): Can't open/find Kerberos configuration file while
initializing Kerberos 5 library

>Others stress the use of only:
>[libdefaults]
> dns_lookup_realm = true
> dns_lookup_kdc = true
>
>this doesnt work either:  :(
>$ sudo tcpdump port 53  &
>tcpdump: listening on eth0
>
>$ /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit
>kinit(v5): Configuration file does not specify default realm when
parsing name duff

>Strangely, if I already have any tickets in this realm, I get:
>kinit(v5): Cannot find KDC for requested realm while getting initial
credentials

>Something else posted here led me to try, -DKRB5_DNS_LOOKUP, (which
doesnt seems to be triggered by the similar sounding autoconf option
--enable-dns-for-realm)   I have tried both of these, and neither
seems to change any of the above errors
>that I am seeing.
>
>Is there a definitive guide on getting this to work ?  Any
suggestions?

>I am using the krb5-1.2.7-latest srpm from redhat which is, I
believe, the same thing as 1.2.8.

>Thanks and Regards,
>
>Peter

Arun Perinkolam