Win logon to a MIT Kerberos V KDC?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Sat Sep 28 02:41:08 EDT 2002

    Turbo> Tried again, this time with all the principals having
    Turbo> +require_preauth.  Still work. Now I'm happy!

    Turbo>  This was even a requirenment! My girlfriend tried to login,
    Turbo> didn't work. What differed was that I had REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH,
    Turbo> but she didn't. Adding it to her principal allowed her to
    Turbo> login. Wee (again :)

    Tony> I'm coming in late to this discussion.  I'm getting the same
    Tony> 'Preauthentication required' error but can't see from the
    Tony> thread what you did differently.  What was the magic
    Tony> incantation?  I had just assumed the Win2k client didn't
    Tony> support preauthentication (although I'm not happy about
    Tony> switching it off because it lowers security).

    Tony> I've recreated the host & user principals with des-cbc-crc
    Tony> as default but still get the error.

There is three principals involved in ONE login. These are:

        Principal: host/majorskan.domain.tld at REALM
        Number of keys: 1
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
        Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
        Policy: [none]

        Principal: krbtgt/REALM at REALM
        Number of keys: 3
        Key: vno 1, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, no salt
        Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
        Policy: [none]

        Principal: turbo at REALM
        Number of keys: 6
        Key: vno 2, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
        Key: vno 2, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
        Key: vno 2, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 4
        Key: vno 2, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 5 - No Realm
        Key: vno 2, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 5 - Realm Only
        Key: vno 2, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, AFS version 3
        Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
        Policy: [none]

* Disabling REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH on any of the princ (or all three)
  will allow me to login. So it don't seem to matter there.
  - Rebooted and I can still login (with REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
    disabled on all three princ).
  - Since REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH is "a good thing", I will have
    them enabled.

* Removing the host princ, and creating it in the normal way
  (like the turbo princ) - with 6 keys - will not let me login
  but according to the logs in the KDC, it seems to work
  (no errors are shown).

        Principal: host/majorskan.bayour.com at BAYOUR.COM
        Number of keys: 6
        Key: vno 1, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 4
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 5 - No Realm
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, Version 5 - Realm Only
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, AFS version 3
        Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
        Policy: [none]

  Deleting it again, and creating it again, this time with the
  command line:

        kadmin.local -e des-cbc-crc:normal -q 'ank -pw SECRET host/majorskan.domain.tld'

        Principal: host/majorskan.domain.tld at REALM
        Number of keys: 1
        Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
        Attributes: REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH
        Policy: [none]

  This will allow me to login without rebooting the win host.
  Now, it's important that 'SECRET' is used with the win
  command (think this requires a reboot though, if it have
  changed anyway):

        ksetup.exe /setcomputerpassword SECRET

  Wether or not any other encryption scheme work or is better
  I don't know. But this one (des-cbc-crc) works for me...

  I've tried the following options to the '-e' flag:

        des-cbc-crc:normal              -> Works
        des3-hmac-sha1:normal           -> Don't work
        des-cbc-md5:normal              -> Works

  Can't seem to combine the two that works or modify the salt
  though (don't know exactly how to use the '-e' flag).