Post-installation rlogin error

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 27 13:55:21 EDT 2002

On Fri Sep 27 10:24:10 2002, Breeze Howard said:

> Thank you! Thank you!  That was it.  I hadn't even looked at that, because I
> was looking for something more Kerberos related.  /etc/hosts didn't even
> list the FQDN, just the short version.  I learn something new everyday. :)

Glad to help.

For the record, I did misspeak in my earlier note.  I said,

>> The Kerberos libraries do a gethostbyname(gethostbyaddr()) of the IP
>> address of the server host to figure out the host service principal name.

But I had it somewhat backwards.  I should have said something like this:

   The Kerberos libraries do a gethostbyaddress(gethostbyname()) of the
   application server hostname as requested by the client.

So that, for example, gethostbyname(citest.acns.fsu.edu) gives '128.186.6.13'.
And, on your system as it was configured, gethostbyaddr(128.186.6.13) would
return just 'citest'.

Mike

Mike Friedman                             System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU                    2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                            University of California at Berkeley
http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef            http://security.berkeley.edu