Win logon to a MIT Kerberos V KDC?

Steve Harper s.harper at m.cc.utah.edu
Thu Sep 26 13:11:55 EDT 2002

Definately remove the "REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH" flag from the principal for
majorskan (which is your windows 2000 machine, if I'm not mistaken).  When
the KDC is forcing the WIN2K client to generate PRE_AUTH data the client
includes additional information (I think it's SID) in the
Authorization_Data field of the ticket.  One way or the other the Logon
will fail because MIT's KDC does not support these microsoft
extensions.  I can guarentee that preauth on a principal will make your
login fail when that login is coming from a Win2K machine to an MIT KDC.

I didn't have much luck finding the specification of the extension's on
MS's site, but here's a mirror I found off google searching on
"Microsoft Authorization Data Specification":

http://home.xnet.com/~catena/ms-kerberos.shtml

If you want to wade through that, feel free, but I would reccomend
just removing the REQUIRES_PRE_AUTH:

kadmin: modify_principal -requires_preauth host/majorskan.<MYDOMAIN.TLD>

HTH,

Steve Harper
University of Utah