Keberos with Mac OS X (10.2)

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Tue Sep 17 15:04:38 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:44:14AM -0700, timothy perfitt wrote:

> My question is this:  does the name of a service, ie ftpd, have to be
> part of the principal name of the service (ie
> ftpd/somehost.foo.com at FOO.COM)?

This is application-specific.  Some use host/fqdn as their service
principal; some use an app-specific principal; some have configurable
behavior.  What ftp server are you using?

> Do I even need a service key in krb5.keytab on the server?

You need to have one in *some* keytab on the server.  Unless otherwise
configured, this should be krb5.keytab.

> My understanding is that Kerberos provides assurance that a specific
> user on a specific host is authorized to connect to a specific server.

Um... no.  Kerberos *authenticates* users, so that the server has
assurance of the client's identity.  It says nothing about what access
they should be granted (authorization), just determines who they are
(authentication).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer