What is the license policy to use Kerberos5 in commercial products

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 10 19:13:26 EDT 2002

kboyanov> Do I need any license in order to incorporate Kerberos 5 in
kboyanov> a commercial product? If yes, could you send me some good
kboyanov> reference explaining Kerberos 5 license policy.

If you're talking about a commercial implementation of the Kerberos 5
protocol from scratch, the only constraint you're likely to encounter
will be the MIT trademark on "Kerberos", which MIT does not permit the
commercial use of without prior written permission.

As for use of MIT krb5 code, please consult the copyright and other
legal notices in the README file from any recent release of MIT krb5.
I've included an excerpt below.  Part of the intent of these copyright
permissions is to permit a minimum of encumbrance for commercial
products derived from MIT krb5 code, subject to copyright and
trademark compliance.

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and that you should consult your
own legal counsel for specific answers.

---Tom

Copyright Notice and Legal Administrivia

Copyright (C) 1985-2001 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

All rights reserved.

Export of this software from the United States of America may require
a specific license from the United States Government.  It is the
responsibility of any person or organization contemplating export to
obtain such a license before exporting.

WITHIN THAT CONSTRAINT, permission to use, copy, modify, and
distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and
without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and
this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that
the name of M.I.T. not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining
to distribution of the software without specific, written prior
permission.  Furthermore if you modify this software you must label
your software as modified software and not distribute it in such a
fashion that it might be confused with the original MIT software.
M.I.T. makes no representations about the suitability of this software
for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied
warranty.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Individual source code files are copyright MIT, Cygnus Support,
OpenVision, Oracle, Sun Soft, FundsXpress, and others.

Project Athena, Athena, Athena MUSE, Discuss, Hesiod, Kerberos, Moira,
and Zephyr are trademarks of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(MIT).  No commercial use of these trademarks may be made without
prior written permission of MIT.

"Commercial use" means use of a name in a product or other for-profit
manner.  It does NOT prevent a commercial firm from referring to the
MIT trademarks in order to convey information (although in doing so,
recognition of their trademark status should be given).

----

The following copyright and permission notice applies to the
OpenVision Kerberos Administration system located in kadmin/create,
kadmin/dbutil, kadmin/passwd, kadmin/server, lib/kadm5, and portions
of lib/rpc:

   Copyright, OpenVision Technologies, Inc., 1996, All Rights Reserved

   WARNING: Retrieving the OpenVision Kerberos Administration system
   source code, as described below, indicates your acceptance of the
   following terms.  If you do not agree to the following terms, do not
   retrieve the OpenVision Kerberos administration system.

   You may freely use and distribute the Source Code and Object Code
   compiled from it, with or without modification, but this Source
   Code is provided to you "AS IS" EXCLUSIVE OF ANY WARRANTY,
   INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
   FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY, WHETHER
   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.  IN NO EVENT WILL OPENVISION HAVE ANY LIABILITY
   FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA OR COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF
   SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR
   CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING,
   WITHOUT LIMITATION, THOSE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE SOURCE
   CODE, OR THE FAILURE OF THE SOURCE CODE TO PERFORM, OR FOR ANY
   OTHER REASON.

   OpenVision retains all copyrights in the donated Source Code. OpenVision
   also retains copyright to derivative works of the Source Code, whether
   created by OpenVision or by a third party. The OpenVision copyright
   notice must be preserved if derivative works are made based on the
   donated Source Code.

   OpenVision Technologies, Inc. has donated this Kerberos
   Administration system to MIT for inclusion in the standard
   Kerberos 5 distribution.  This donation underscores our
   commitment to continuing Kerberos technology development
   and our gratitude for the valuable work which has been
   performed by MIT and the Kerberos community.

----

    Portions contributed by Matt Crawford <crawdad at fnal.gov> were
    work performed at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, which is
    operated by Universities Research Association, Inc., under
    contract DE-AC02-76CHO3000 with the U.S. Department of Energy.