Migration from nis to Krb

Joerg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Thu Oct 31 09:01:44 EST 2002

Hi,

we will migrate from a nis (passwd) system to krb. But with 1700 users
and not all of them know what a computer is, it's hard.

Can krb help us? Is there a mechanism, that we switch authentification to
kerberos and if a user logs in his password is searched in the krb db. If
there isn't a passwd, krb looks for it in the old passwd. Then it creates
automaticly a password entry in the krb db, that the old passwd is
obsolete for this user. If all users loged in one time, kerberos has
migrate the password db to itself.

We run the Kerberos provided with openafs and client os are True64 and
Linux.