Kerberos authentication in PostgreSQL

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 06:57:36 EST 2002

On 30 Oct 2002, Arunvijai wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> Please help me to configure and run Postgresql7.x.x Authentication with Kerberos
> Authentication method.
> The Starting of Kerberos under RHL7.3 seems to be very hard.

Roughly:

1. Edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf, making sure that there is an
uncommented line of the pattern
	krb_server_keyfile = '/path/to/keytab'
(and of course in the /path/to/keytab file, ktadd the key to be used by
postgresql by using kadmin. I think it wants the principal to be called
'postgres'.)

2. Assuming you want krb5 auth used for all TCP/IP connections, add the
following line at the top of /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf:
	host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 krb5

3. Restart the postgresql service:
	service postgresql restart

If these steps don't make sense, you may find it helpful to refer to the
various Kerberos docs (especially the Kerberos admin guide) for a frame of
reference.

Haven't actually tried these steps, good luck,
-- Elliot