Talking with Kerberized services using GSS-API

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 18 10:26:35 EDT 2002

>OK, let's say I want my app to talk to a mail server which is secured. Does
>that mean that i first need to know the method used to implement it, before
>talking to it with the right interface? GSS-API or KV5 API ? Or even SASL ?

Yes, exactly.

>Speaking about SASL, i guess the problem is the same since i recall to have
>read that you have to provide it with the underlying auth method to be used.

"That depends".  If you're implementing SASL directly in your application,
without using a SASL library, then you have to implement each mechanism
seperately.

If use a SASL library (like cyrus-sasl), and you write your application
properly, then the SASL library should provide the mechanisms for you.

--Ken