afs-krb5 integration

Cesar Garcia Cesar.Garcia at morganstanley.com
Fri Oct 18 00:22:49 EDT 2002

Not sure - I'm not exactly an AFS subject matter expert and I haven't
seen the AFS code that implements the key retrieval (from KeyFile)
and token validation.

When I first started looking at MIT's krb524, this was the first problem
we saw. [the 524 client setting the lifetimes incorrectly was the other,
as apparently the resulting V4 ticket lifetimes are not communicated
back to the client over the 524 wire protocol and the client is
setting it based on 5 minute increments in the V4 ticket, not the
CMU/AFS lifetime interpretation].

I noticed the kvno returned was "0", while the actual kvno for our afs
principal was "1" (as seen via kadmin).  Given the error and the
observed behavior wrt kvno, the fix was rather straight forward.

Perhaps your afs server uses different criteria for key
retrieval. We're only now starting to roll out OpenAFS. Our
observations were made with Transarc AFS, versios 3.x. Sorry I don't
have a good answer for this.