Solaris pam_krb5 uses root/<instance>@<REALM>

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Thu Oct 17 14:19:04 EDT 2002

Its hardcoded into our PAM module that if the user is "root", then it
looks for root/<host>@REALM, I dont think there is a workaround
for it unless you switch to a different pam_krb5 module.

This is a security "feature", we prefer that the root principal be unique to
each host rather than global to the realm.   Thus the root principal for
one host is not automatically associated with the root user on the other
hosts on the network.  Also this allows for each host to have a different
password associated with its root principal.

-Wyllys