Win logon to a MIT Kerberos V KDC?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Thu Oct 3 07:22:37 EDT 2002

    Tony> Already done that.  The system clock on Windows is correct
    Tony> (to the nearest second).  The windows kerberos clock is
    Tony> incorrect.  How do I make them equal?

To my knowledge (I also think I've read something about that on
some site I was looking through when I tried to get this to work
last week) Kerberos is using the system clock.

Now, I also remember that I got the same problem as you, but it
still works for me...

I'm reinstalling (for the n:th time to verify my documentation)
so I'll see if I get the same problem, but I don't think I will.

Last time I installed, this is what I did (it worked then, but
I'm setting up a demo machine which will have 6 OS'es that work
with Kerberos/AFS on it) to get W2k authenticated against my MIT
Kerberos V KDC:

        1. Installed W2k Pro
        2. Installed SP3
                a. Auth to non-M$ KDC requires SP2 or greater!
                   SP3 is the latest from M$.
        3. Executed the 'ksetup.exe' commands
                a. ksetup /SetRealm MYREALM.TLD
                b. ksetup /AddKdc MYREALM.TLD kerberos1.domain.tld
                c. ksetup /AddKpasswd MYREALM.TLD kerberos1.domain.tld
                d. ksetup /MapUser * *
                e. ksetup /SetComputerPassword secretpw
        4. Setup & Start w32time
                a. net time /setsntp:fartein.ifi.uio.no
                b. net start w32time
                c. Setup w32time to start auto, not manually
        5. Installed OpenAFS client
                a. OpenAFS_Client_126.exe

That's the steps, in detail. Nothing forgotten, nothing hidden. Exept for
the occational reboots that's needed :). Works for me!