Cross Realm authentication error

Dain Ridnouer dain1155 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 08:31:51 EST 2002

Any help on the following problem would be appreciated.

I am trying to set up a cross realm environment between a Microsoft KDC and
a KDC running in the Unix environment and keep getting "Authorization
failed" when doing a kerberized telnet from the Microsoft side to Unix.  The
Unix KDC runs the CyberSafe version of kerberos version 5.

Details:
Microsoft hostname: microkerb.org
Microsoft realm: MICROKERB.ORG
Unix hostname: kerbsrvt1.test.org
Unix Realm: UKREALM

I have read the Microsoft and CyberSafe interoperability papers and set up
the appropriate trusts and user mappings between the 2 realms (I think).

When I log on an XP machine in the Microsoft realm I get the following
tickets:

MICROKERB.ORG

|--  krbtgt/MICROKERB.ORG at MICROKERB.ORG
|--  krbtgt/MICROKERB.ORG at MICROKERB.ORG
|--  host/xpbox1.microkerb.org
|--  LDAP/mserver1.microkerb.org at MICROKERB.ORG
|--  ldap/mserver1.microkerb.org/microkerb.org at MICROKERB.ORG
|--  cifs/mserver1.microkerb.org at MICROKERB.ORG

I do the telnet and get the following messages when I turn on debugging: