kerberos and nfs

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Thu May 30 11:06:57 EDT 2002

    Josef> Is there a howto on kerberizing nfs with MIT version of
    Josef> kerberos?  Josef De Vaughn Allen z

Start by giving up and installing Solaris.  There were unfortunately some versions of NFS
that support Kerberos Version 4 with MIT Kerberos.  All these are
insecure.

Sun currently ships an NFS implementation supporting GSSRPC and
Kerberos 5 that I suspect is fairly secure.  Sun's code is based on an
old version of MIT Kerberos and it will work reasonably well with
current MIT Kerberos, but at least for the NFS part of the operation
you do need to use Sun's code.  I believe they do provide documentation.

I don't know of any ports of this to other operating systems, but this
should be taken as a sign I haven't followed NFS in years, not that
such ports do not exist.

--Sam