What are the 3 heads of Kerberos?

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Thu May 30 11:02:03 EDT 2002

    Sean> OK, I've heard three different definitions for the "3 heads"
    Sean> of Kerberos, which is generally accepted?

    Sean> 1. Authentication, Authorization, Accounting were the inital
    Sean> three goals of Kerberos, however they only delivered on the
    Sean> first, but the name stuck

    Sean> 2. The three heads are the two principals and the KDC
    Sean> (client, server, KDC)

Mark is certainly correct that AAA (although I think A tended to stand
for auditing back then) was the symbolic link for the heads.

I have at least heard the second interpretation before, and it seems
to have some value if we don't want to change the icon to a head and
two bloody stumps.  Unfortunately I cannot remember where I heard the
second interpretation; certainly not here at MIT.