FQDN needed by sasl_gss_client_step or gss_import_name?

Nicolas.Williams@ubsw.com Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Thu May 23 11:24:21 EDT 2002

I did not mean that the KDC ought to make DNS lookups
specifically, not via DNS protocol anyways.

This of a realm's KDB being augmented with RR data from the
relevant DNS zone(s). That's what I'm thinking of.

I would refuse to use the DNS protocol from the KDC for such
lookups unless: a) the DNS server runs local to the KDC and
is authoritative for all relevant zones and is setup such
that the KDC is never referred to another DNS server, b) the
KDC's DNS server does not answer DNS queries from other
hosts, c) the zone files are not transferred using the DNS
protocol but using some other more secure protocol (think
SSH).

The good news is that this aliasing behaviour can be
implemented without needing any changes to the Kerberos specs.
About the only aspect I can see of KDC SPN aliasing that would
be useful to discuss in the context of the Kerberos specs is
whether to use the canonical SPN's key straight as it is or to
derive a new one for the given alias from the actual key and
the alias name (I prefer the latter); this is relevant to
interoperability as acceptors need to know how to deal with
spontaneous SPN aliasing by the KDCs, though not crucial
because one could always generate the keytab entries ahead of
time knowing what aliases a host has or will have and thus
avoid having to add code to libkrb5 for dealing with SPN
aliasing.

Nico
--

related financial instruments.