Switching to ccache v4?

Theodore Ts'o tytso at MIT.EDU
Sun May 19 07:09:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 03:02:02PM -0400, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> Why not change the default ccach version then? I remember hearing that
> there was a problem with that, but I can't remember what that was...

It was disabled because if you turn it on, anything built with older
versions of Kerberos that don't support the V4 ccache version would
die a horrible death.

Two years ago, this was primarily a problem with sites that still had
applications built against older MIT implementations, but it may still
be an issue for people who are stuck with vendor-supplied Kerberos
implementations.  (In particular, if there are still any people stuck
with DCE.)

At this point, though, it's probably the right thing to change the
default to be V4, and let those poeple who need the ccache v3
compatibility to set the value in krb5.conf.

							- Ted