problem noticed with threads and Leash_kinit_dlg

Glen Matthews glen at montreal.hcl.com
Wed May 15 15:29:08 EDT 2002

Hi,

  i noticed and resolved a problem with Leash_kinit_dlg and threads.
basically, we have some suspended threads waiting for the completion of a
thread that invokes Leash_kinit_dlg, to get the user's username and
password. apparently, there's a variable in the krbv4W32.dll called
krb_debug - which is initialized to 1. this causes routines in i think
send_kdc.c to attempt to locate the Debug Window. it works fine under 2000
and XP, but under Win98/Me apparently the FindWindow call blocks. only when
the calling threads time out or give up on the connection does the call
complete - i could see it in the debugger.

  was fixed by calling set_krb_debug(0). in another application that we
have, it ran fine, because we don't have suspended threads with windows
hanging around.

  just fyi in case someone else runs into this gotcha.

glen