root login

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Tue May 7 13:38:51 EDT 2002

On Tue, 07 May 2002 18:39:58 +0200, Marc wrote:

> There must be a way, how about modifying the code of login.krb5 to make
> root account always get checked via /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow ???

Consider first, why you *don't* want to do that: login (or login.krb5)
is not called only by getty.  Ideally you'd login as a non-root user and
then *become* root with su, (or use sudo, or whatever is appropriate to
your site policy).

If I'm not mistaken, though, the original request was to do this on a
Slackware system, presumably to deal with the single-user mode login.
In that case, check the manual page for getty.  My Slackware system uses
"agetty", which permits me to specify an alternate login program
(such as the original, rather than login.krb5).  You would then simply
edit /etc/inittab to use the non-kerberized login in single-user mode,
and the kerberized version in other modes.

I hope that helps...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada