Weird KDC behaviour with getprincs/kdb5_util (V5 1.2.2, Solaris 8)

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.it.wmich.edu
Tue Mar 26 16:21:55 EST 2002

This is V5 1.2.2 running on Solaris 8....

We're seeing something very strange on our KDC.  We have approximately
46,000 total principals.  When we propagate (kdb5_util dump) or do
getprincs in kadmin to get a list of all principal names the resulting
output (in both cases) is missing over half of the principals that we
know are in the database.  Our slave server is pretty much useless at
this point until we get this working again.

The really odd part is that the principals that don't show up are in the
database and continue to work fine.  Users can get tickets, use them for
rlogin/telnet/ftp, and change their passwords.  We can do getprinc for any
one of the missing entries and they show up just fine.  But running getprincs
to list the entire database or kdb5_util dump both fail to list them.

BTW, I tried using

   kdb5_util dump dump.out <principal>

to dump a single principal and didn't get the principal dumped.  Instead,
it appeared to dump just the policies that we have defined.  Am I misreading
the man page?  I had hoped to be able to dump each individual principal,
append to a file, and possibly reload the database.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?  Could it be a buffer being over-
run someplace?

Any help would, of course, be greatly appreciated.

Leonard J. Peirce                   Email:  leonard.peirce at wmich.edu
UNIX System Manager
Western Michigan University
Office of Information Technology
Kalamazoo, MI  49008                Phone:  (616) 387-5430