Openssh and Kerberos

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Tue Mar 26 08:48:44 EST 2002

Why are you using 'acceptor' with pam_unix?  That is not a supported
pam_unix option.  'acceptor' should only be used by services
that are capable of exchanging Kerberos (or GSSAPI/KRB5) credentials
natively so they dont try to perform a 2nd kerberos authentication.
It is useless for any other service.  Only to be used with
ktelnet, krlogin (and I sshd if it accepts kerberos
creds over the wire).

If your daemon got the kerberos creds using GSSAPI then having the
'forwardable' flag set depends on how you created your ticket on
the client side (did you use 'kinit -f' ?).  If your daemon did not
do the GSSAPI authentication and you relied on pam_krb5 (without
'acceptor' option), then the forwardable flag will be set according to
the 'kinit' options in the krb5.conf file (look in the [appdefaults]
section).  Are you using the MIT krb5 gssapi code or the Solaris
gssapi code?

kpasswd core dumping?  Thats a completely different issue entirely.
If you are using MIT code that you built yourself, just debug it.
If you can't debug it, on Solaris you can use the 'truss' command to
see what is happening:  'truss kpasswd'.

-wyllys