Problems using Kerberos telnet

Someone please at nospam.net
Thu Mar 21 08:01:13 EST 2002

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> Quoting Someone <please at nospam.net>:
>

>>Hello, I am using MIT kerberos v1.2.3 on a Linux machine, I have
>>activated the kerberized telnet daemon in inetd.conf like that:
>>
>>telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
>>/usr/local/sbin/telnetd -a valid
>>

>>And then I am using the kerberized telnet client to login to my host (to
>>test) but I cannot, see the following output:
>>
>> > telnet localhost
>>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>>Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
>>Escape character is '^]'.
>>telnetd: No authentication provided.
>>Connection closed by foreign host.
>>
>>Do I need to do anything special ? I have received a ticket from my KDC
>>and that host has a keytab file.
>>

> Try
>
>         telnet -x localhost
>
> Do you have a service key for 'localhost'?

I tryed -x and I get the following error message:

Waiting for encryption to be negotiated...

Authentication negotation has failed, which is required for
encryption.  Good bye.

What is a service key exactly ? I don't recall that I have one. What I
know that I have is a keytab for my host yes.

Regards