'Preauthentiction Failed" when initializing kadmin

Chris Schadl cschadl at nospam.satan.org.uk
Thu Mar 7 19:53:47 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to get one of my workstations (IRIX 6.2, gcc) to participate
in my Kerberos realm.  I was able to successfully compile and install
kerberosV 1.2.4 and I am able to get tickets from the KDC.  However, I
get the following error when I try to extract the host principle from the
KDC to the IRIX machine's keytab using kadmin:

irix# kinit root/admin
Password for root/admin at LEET.ORG:
irix# /usr/local/sbin/kadmin
Authenticating as principal root/admin at LEET.ORG with password.
Enter password:
Enter password: (for some reason it asks for the password twice)
kadmin: Preauthentication failed while initializing kadmin interface

I'm pretty sure that its not a clock-skew problem, nor is it a password
problem as I am able to get tickets from the KDC just fine.  I'm using
the heimdal Kerberos implementation on the KDC, if that matters.  Does
anyone know what the problem might be?