kerberos on freebsd

Emmanuel le Chevoir manu at 3rd.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 7 07:55:13 EST 2002

In article <3C87427B.54070BF5 at tunix.nl>, Rob Frohwein wrote:
> Hi ,

Hi,

> I am  new to kerberos.
> Can someone give me e few hints on howto install/use
> kerberos on FreeBSD.
>
> What I did until now:
> (...)
>         from the ports collection I install  heimdal
> 4       I found the documentation about configuring heimdal/krb5
>
> 5       Now what further? how do I specify to all clients/servers
>         like telnet/telnetd  rcp/rshd  etc. to use kerberos
>         authentication?
>         This seems to be nowhere documented...

Those replacement servers are included with heimdal, as far as I
remember. All you have to do is to configure your inetd correctly
so that those specific servers will be launched instead of default ones.

But before trying to use those servers, you must have a clear idea of
what Kerberos is and how it works.

If you have no precise idea of what kerberos really means, you should
read this interesting little dialogue explaining the conception of
kerberos :
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/dialogue.html

Finally, when all will be a little more clear in your mind, you may be
interested in this guide :
http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal/heimdal.html

This will help you setting your realm step by step.

I hope this will help.

--
Emmanuel le Chevoir