Kerberized rsh/rlogin on FreeBSD and NetBSD?

Chris Schadl cschadl at nospamsatan.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 23:32:43 EST 2002

Hi,

When I try to rlogin or rsh to my NetBSD or FreeBSD machines with
kerberos support, I get the error "Couldn't authenticate to server: Bad
sendauth version was sent".  Looking in the syslogs of these hosts, I see
the following:

Mar  6 22:12:07 ryoko rlogind[37294]: usage: rlogind [-Dalnx]
Mar  6 22:12:07 ryoko rlogind[37294]: usage: rlogind [-Dalnx]
Mar  6 22:12:07 ryoko rlogind[37294]: Connection from 192.168.0.2 on illegal port

(that's on the FreeBSD host; I get something simmilar on the NetBSD
server)

rlogind and rshd are set in inetd.conf to use the -k flag to enable
Kerberos authentication, however the errors in my syslog would seem to
indicate that the -k flag is not supported.  Does anyone what I have to
do to get kerberos rsh/rlogin working on these platforms?