Keytab problems

James M Craig jmc at cs.rit.edu
Fri Jun 21 14:05:42 EDT 2002

I have started running some experiments on a few machines in hopes of
deploying Kerberos throughout our department.  We are running Solaris 8,
and I am using SEAM 1.0.1 on the test systems.  Since I am learning this
on my own, some things are not as obvious to me as I think they should
be.

My current is that I trying to deal with is keytab files.

I have one machine exporting a filesystem with sec=krb5i set.
A client machine has a cron job that touches a file mounted via
NFS from this server.

I am able to get things to work fine when I have put a key in a keytab
file, and the cron job calls kinit, runs a process, then kdestroy.

What I am noticing, however, is that the user who's principal is in the
keytab file can no longer run kinit on their own.  If they do so, the
password is rejected.

I am 99% sure that it's not a mistyped password issue.

Has anyone dealt with this before ?

jim craig
jmc @ cs.rit.edu