How to prevent very very large ccaches?

Nicolas.Williams@ubsw.com Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Wed Jun 19 10:00:59 EDT 2002

Indeed, all those lseek()s and read()s sure look, well,
superfluous and inefficient.

For now it's clear that the lock/unlock for each ccache entry
sequenced causes ccaches not to scale beyond a fairly small
number of entries, N.

All those unnecessary lseek()s and read()s might mean there's
another knee in ccache sequencing for a much larger N, say,
50,000. I'm very happy to say that there are many fewer than
100,000 hosts for me to look after :) so that I don't (yet)
care about any possible knee in searching such large ccaches.
For now the OPENCLOSE fix should result in an improvement of
at least an order of magnitude when doing massive, parallel
ssh/krsh to thousands of hosts.

Note to future ccache implementors: one thing I take away
from the way I use Kerberos is that ccache searches are more
common than ccache insertions, but both must be fast enough
as to not be noticeable; O(1) insertion and lookups would be
nice, but I'd settle for O(ln(N)) :)

Cheers,

Nico