Kerberos Deployment Experiences

Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group Cy.Schubert at uumail.gov.bc.ca
Tue Jun 11 11:01:20 EDT 2002

In message <tslhekbm7wn.fsf at konishi-polis.mit.edu>, Sam Hartman writes:
> You are aware of course that Kerberos and NIS do fairly different
> things.  Kerberos is not a directory; it only stores authentication
> information, not account preferences, etc.
>
> I generally find myself deploying Kerberos and LDAP in conjunction to
> replace NIS.

Over the years I've used NIS and NIS+ in conjunction with Kerberos by
putting a "*" in the password field.  If people are not ready to deploy
LDAP yet, this can be an interim step to getting there.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert at osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, CITS
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC