win2k and kerberosV(mit)

David Lawler Christiansen (NT) davidchr at windows.microsoft.com
Mon Jun 10 17:55:51 EDT 2002

It sounds like you have a Win2K Pro machine (say, WIN2KPRO), and you are
trying to add a realm (say, REALM) to it.  You want to map
WIN2KPRO\LocalUser to realmuser at REALM.COM.  If I'm wrong about your
setup, please correct me.

If so, then:

1. logging on with WIN2KPRO\LocalUser (with the local password) should
not generate any traffic on the KDC-- it's a local logon.  Kerberos is
not involved.

2. Logging on with realmuser at REALM.COM (with the Kerberos password)
should generate KDC traffic.

If you're unsure, use tcpdump or Netmon to take a sniff.

-----
This message or posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer.
I reside in Washington, USA, where Title 19 declares that sending me
Unsolicited Commercial Email can result in a $500 fine.
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email (spam and UCE) is
expressly prohibited unless by my explicit prior request.  I retaliate
viciously against spammers and spam sites.