Service principals

David A. Resler resler at ohio.edu
Mon Jun 10 12:01:32 EDT 2002

I'm looking for documentation/information on service principals and what
goes on behind the scenes.

I'm attempting to use K5 authentication with CorporateTime.  Our K5 is part
of a DCE installation.

I've generated a principal with a primary name of "uniengd" and am using
the fully qualified domain name of the CT server as the instance.

When my CT client makes a "TGS-REQ" request, I receive back a "KRB-ERROR"
packet with the error code "KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN".  The packet
also contains "Server not found in Kerberos database (dce / krb)".

The service principal looks OK, i.e., the dcecp command "principal show
uniengd/{CT hostname}" looks OK.

Any ideas?

David A. Resler                          E-mail:  resler at ohio.edu
Senior Network Engineer
Communication Network Services, Ohio University