Remote Kerberos database

Monica Lau mllau2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 15:06:15 EDT 2002

Hi all,

RFC 1510 states that the implementation of the Kerberos server need not combine the database and the server on the same machine, that it's feasible to store the principal database elsewhere.  We are very interested in this feature, but how do we actually set this up in the KDC?  Are there any documentation/links on this setup?  There is much documentation on setting up the database and server on the same machine, but I am having difficulty finding docs on setting up remote database.

For example, can the Kerberos server access the principal database stored in the active directory of the Win2K server?  Has anyone tried this before?  I read a little bit about LDAP, but I'm new to LDAP also and not sure how that fits in with Kerberos.

Furthermore, RFC 1510 states that there is a protocol for maintaining multiple copies of the Kerberos database.  Can someone please point me to the link on this protocol(s)?

Any suggestions would be really helpful and very much appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Monica