GSSAPI / Native Kerberos API

Christian cgregoir99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 04:46:41 EDT 2002

"Sam Hartman" <hartmans at mit.edu> wrote in message
news:tslheipar67.fsf at konishi-polis.mit.edu...

>     Christian> Hello, I'm thinking of kerberizing our application, and
>     Christian> i've just read about GSSAPI, which looks like a common
>     Christian> interface to C/S authentication. My question is :
>     Christian> should I choose GSSAPI or the native Kerberos API ?
>

> You should choose SASL (RFC 2222) if it works for your application.
> If that fails, you should use GSSAPI; if your applications requires
> services that neither GSSAPI nor SASL can provide then you should use
> raw Kerberos calls.
>
> Using SASL (or SASL and TLS as IMAP, LDAP, BEEP and SMTP do) will
> provide the greatest flexibility for your application including
> support for all SASL and GSSAPI mechanisms.

Well, what I want to do is secure the access to an application server which
will make objects available through a TCP service. The application server is
not yet developed, but the client is, though without any secured
authentication so far. So i guess i should definitly choose SASL.

Any known cases/architectures/environments where SASL and/or GSSAPI  might
fail ?

Anyway, thanks to you guys for the replies.

Christian.