krb5_rd_req: Wrong principal in request while reading request

Thomas Huang Thomas.Huang at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 24 20:52:29 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am trying to setup a kerberorized service (using kerberos 5 v1.2.2)
on a Solaris 7 machine.  When trying to connect to this service using
a kerberorized client, the server returned the following error
message:

krb5_rd_req: Wrong principal in request while reading request

I have verified my /etc/krb5.keytab has the correct entries.  I was
able to use 'kinit -k -t /etc/krb5.keytab -S <myserivce> <principal>'
to obtain a service ticket on that server host.  I have also updated
the /etc/hosts file to make sure the fully qualified host name is on
the first position.  My guess is some how the host lookup is
returning a different host name, but I am sure I am on a single home
machine.  My /etc/nsswitch.conf has the following entry on for hosts

hosts:     nisplus dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

I am not very good in system administration.  Any ideas?

thanks,

Thomas.