Installing Slave KDC

Austin Gonyou austin at coremetrics.com
Thu Jul 11 18:03:20 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 16:51, Monica Lau wrote:
> Hi all,

> However, now, I want to change the kdc names to "kdcmaster" and
> "kdcslave."  I added these names to the /etc/hosts file, updated
> krb5.conf file, and I wiped out the database to start all over again
> (removed principal* files, keytab files, log files, killed the krb5kdc
> and kadmind processes).  I added the principals host/kdcmaster and
> host/kdcslave, but when I tried to propagate the database, I got the
> same error message above in the log files.  Why is this?  Is there
> something that I've forgotten to update?  Why does it keep asking for
> the principals host/mlau and host/lynxos?

Simple way to do it is via hosts, but a keytab entry must still exists,
so you'll have to add host principals for the new names as well.

> Furthermore, why doesn't the kadm5.acl file get propagated over to the
> slave KDC?

This should not, because if you have multiple realms...you may have
backup servers for each realm, and not all. Therefore, for security,
you'd *not* want to propagate the ACL file. You *could* rsync it..which
does work fine as well, even for replication.