Permission denied while initializing kadmin.local interface

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Feb 7 09:10:34 EST 2002

>    >> No, that's the whole point... If using sudo/su/ksu, then it
>    >> works. But I have two 'help admins' (ie, ordinary users which
>    >> help out with bits and pieces) that I don't want to give
>    >> sudo/su rights to...
>
>    Andreas> Then you can't use kdamin.local, just kadmin. Have them
>    Andreas> use kadmin and it will work just fine.

One thing that's important to understand is that kadmin.local accesses
the database directly, instead of going through kadmind.  So it needs
permission to read/write the database file ... which is why you were getting
"Permission denied" (I think that's a bug that it says "Authenticating as
principal ..." when using kadmin.local).

>Hmmm... I'm _QUITE_ sure I tried that, but...
>

>[papadoc.pts/3]$ kadmin -p turbo at BAYOUR.COM
>Authenticating as principal turbo at BAYOUR.COM with password.
>Enter password:
>kadmin:

I don't understand ... this looks like it works to me.

--Ken