Kerberos Password Sniffing

Frank O'Dwyer fod at brd.ie
Sun Dec 1 07:27:57 EST 2002

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the informative response. I am just a bit frustrated because
(a) even a point solution would be better than nothing, and (b) people
are highly misinformed about this.

For example, the ability to run the login exchange with confidentiality
for high privilege accounts would be a good start. As you point out,
this could be achieved in some circumstances using TLS. For particular
access points and implementations (notably W2K) it could be done today
using IPSEC (or perhaps SSH), albeit in an admittedly kludgy setup,
however without changing the kerberos standard. Meanwhile password
quality controls remain very important.

Additionally, I don't see any of this properly highlighted in the krb
FAQ. Maybe it's there and I missed it. Offline attacks are mentioned,
but the message is that it's solved by preauth.

I appreciate that it's much more difficult to create a standard than an
implementation fix. However in this instance trying to get it
gold-plated is a bit like failing to get out of the way of a large
oncoming truck because running would mess up your hair.

Cheers,
Frank