Extracting the host principal for an MIT K5 workstation from a Heimdal KDC

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Thu Aug 15 12:58:13 EDT 2002

Howdy,

I'm using the MIT Kerberos package as distributed with RedHat Linxu 7.3
on a workstation and I have a Heimdal KDC on FreeBSD 4.6. I'm able to
successfully kinit, klist and destroy from the RedHat workstation,
though I can't use any "real" client apps as I haven't been able to
extract my host principal in my keytab.

I read the short thread "heimdal kadmin vs MIT kadmind service" in the
list archives, and I believe I understand the different admin protocol
issue. Is there a way to get a keytab transferred somehow?

I had thought that if I created the host principal with a known password
that I might be able to use ktutil's add_entry command to create the
appropraite keytab, but all I get from add_entry is a usage statement
regardless of what arguements I pass it.

Any pointers or ideas appreciated,

- Tillman

--
Say something about a thing and already you're off the mark.
	Nan-Yueh Huai-Jang