Using login.krb5 at console

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 9 17:21:10 EDT 2002

Leong Tim <timleong20 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have replaced /bin/login with login.krb5 so that I get a TGT
> automatically when I log into a machine. However, this only works when I
> telnet or rlogin to a machine.  I need to know how to get a TGT
> automatically when I login through the graphical consol on an SGI, Linux
> or HP.

If you want to obtain Kerberos tickets automatically when logging on via
the graphical console, you're going to need to look at PAM modules, since
they don't use /bin/login or anything like it.  They do use PAM on most
platforms, though (although I'm not sure about IRIX and HP-UX in
particular).

Good luck.  We just replaced xdm for a while, which was an unsatisfactory
solution, and finally gave up and disabled graphical login everywhere and
forced people to always use the console and then start X.