Windows browse list w/ Kerberos

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Aug 8 16:53:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:34:06PM -0700, John Green wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I need some help with a problem
> I ran into.  I am running Win2K workstations, and a Samba v2.2.1 server on
> RH7.2 that serves as the master browser.  I brought up a Kerberos v1.22-13
> (RH7.2 rpm) server, and the network browse list disappeared.  When I added
> principals for the machines on the network, luckily a small test network,
> the browse list came back.  Is it necessary to add principals for every
> machine, or is there a shortcut I'm missing?  Thanks in advance for any
> help.

Samba 2.2.1 is not Kerberos-aware.  Are your Win2K workstations part of an
ActiveDirectory domain?  If not, then Kerberos definitely should not have
made a difference -- it's more likely that you're witnessing some of the
instabilities typical of network neighborhood browse lists.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer