Sources for Heimdal kerberos and OpenLDAP

Dennis Davis ccsdhd at bath.ac.uk
Tue Aug 6 09:13:39 EDT 2002

>From: Lars <nospam at nospam.net>
>Subject: Sources for Heimdal kerberos and OpenLDAP
>To: kerberos at mit.edu
>Sender: kerberos-admin at mit.edu
>Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:46:48 +0200
>
>I've gotten Heimdal kerberos successfully installed on a Debian 3.0
>machine and would now like to integrate OpenLDAP.  What sources and
>guides are available?  (Bonus points if they are written for people
>with the attention span of a hamster...)

I've noted, but never investigated, the instructions on how to
install the LDAP backend for Heimdal at:

http://www.padl.com/Research/Heimdal.html

When reading the above, note the caveats about security given on
the page and in Sam Hartman's message.  You'll need to secure the
LDAP server as least well as the Kerberos server.  And take great
care to secure the private information in the LDAP server.  My own,
untutored opinion is that it's just more hassle that should be
avoided if possible.