Posting to this list without valid return address (was Re: GSSAPI on FreeBSD 4.5)

Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group Cy.Schubert at uumail.gov.bc.ca
Mon Apr 22 14:07:30 EDT 2002

In message <t53wuuzr9jz.fsf at horowitz-m1.mit.edu>, Marc Horowitz writes:
> n at nectar.cc ("Jacques A. Vidrine") writes:
>
> >> If you send messages to this list with an incorrect or forged `From:'
> >> address, do not expect replies.
>
> He's been getting useful, substantial replies for a month.  I don't
> see why he should expect that to change just because you don't
> approve.

I'm one of the people who has replied to a couple of his queries.  It
is a pain adjusting the headers so my email doesn't bounce back to me.
At various times in the past I have refused to reply to emails that had
incorrect return addresses, HTML, or RTF formatted emails.  Many of us
are busy.  Farting around with email headers and format can be time
consuming.

Many of us enjoy sharing information and knowledge in our areas of
specialization and get a great deal of satisfaction from sharing (the
satisfaction of seeing people progress can be enough, getting positive
feedback from others makes it even more worthwhile).  It is unfortunate
that some unwittingly make it difficult, sometimes even impossible to
share.

IMO life is about sharing.  I suppose it boils down to if people are
truly willing to have their questions answered, an effort would be made
to allow others to contact them.  A little bit of give and a little bit
of take.

Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert at osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, CITS
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC