kadmind and GSS-API authentication names

Norbert Veber nveber at pyre.virge.net
Thu Apr 18 14:10:43 EDT 2002

In article <bcfee37b.0204170017.6f9f5c48 at posting.google.com>, Stefan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried to set up kerberos5 1.2.3 on a Linux box.
> Krb5kdc works fine, but only with kadmin.local.
> Everytime I try to start kadmind, I run into the following
> error message:
>
> kadmind: Cannot set the GSS-API authentication names.
>
> The log shows the following:
>
> kadmind[15225](Error): Cannot set the GSS-API authentication names, failing
>
> What are GSS-API authentication names and what can I do about that ?
> Is there any recommended reading except for the install/admin/user guide
> found on the MIT page ?

I had the same problem earlier.  I ran strace on it, and found that it
was trying to open a non-existant file.  Well, the file existed, just
not in the place that it was trying to find it in :)

I dont remeber the exact details anymore, but if you run strace/truss or
some other system call tracer and grep for 'open', you should find it
fairly quickly.

--

Thanks,

Norbert