GSS API and other questions

Ganesh divyag at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 14 23:51:43 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody in this group has any experience
working with GSS API.

I am developing a client/server program that requires that the
client be authenticated to the server, and that all communication
between client and server is encrypted. The requirement also dictates
that my client and server be oblivious to the underlying
security/authentication mechansim and protocol. Also, the program
should work on windows and unix platforms.

My understanding is that GSS API helps me to achieve the above
mentions objectives. Is there a place where I can find a GSS library
that
works with both SSL and kerberos, and is available on unix
and windows platform.

The other question is .. Am I better of developing my own API (like GSS)

that wraps the underlying security mechanism?

I would also like to know where I can find source code(both
client/server)
samples that uses OpenSSL or kerberos to authenticate a client to the
server, and then encrypts communication between client and server.

I really appreciate answers to my questions.

Thanks,

Ganesh