gssapi and CCC command

Glen Matthews glen at montreal.hcl.com
Fri Apr 12 10:41:39 EDT 2002

Hi,

  thanks for your response, marc. actually, i *am* implementing the full
spec, all (except for ccc?) of which is working - CCC is just an option
(which we will deprecate and warn people about). or at least i think i am -
rfc 2228. i don't see any update to that (in fact, it seems to be only a
proposed standard - is this correct?)

  the thing is that the authentication is in fact done via gssapi, and a
security exchange with the ftp server via ADAT commands. this does indeed
succeed. i get back a 235 message from the server, indicating that the
security exchange has completed successfully, and that no additional data is
needed. further, when i then pass the returned security data to the kerberos
server (because i had previously received GSS_CONTINUE_NEEDED) it too
indicates that the security exchange is complete.

232 GSSAPI user xxx at REALM is authorized as xxx

my reading of the rfc is that even after a 235 message in response to an
ADAT command, you must *still* issue the USER command (to set the home
directory?) the state diagram in rfc 2228 indicates this. however, you might
get back a 200 level message (as above) indicating that you are authorized
(or you might get a password request - fine - but when i send the password
associated with the xxx account, i get the 500 login incorrect message).

i'm basically doing the same thing with CCC enabled as i do with it
disabled, except for encrypted the commands, and in fact commands seem to
work (PBSZ and PROT, as i said before) - the *user* command seems to fail at
the server. responses come back encrypted. what i've noticed is that without
the CCC command, a USER command unencrypted results in a 500 level message
that says that all commands must be encrypted, so it's having some effect. i
can accept that there is a bug in the server code - anyone aware of this? -
but what i'm chiefly wondering is if i'm reading the rfc correctly.

glen