[ietf-enroll] Proposed use cases

Pekka Nikander pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com
Tue Nov 25 05:30:48 EST 2003

Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:

> Greetings again. At the BOF, there was a request to include proposed use
> cases in the charter. ...

> A different way to look at the typical use cases is:
>
> - Bringing a new device into a network. Examples are enrolling a
> newly-purchased cell phone and buying temporary access to wireless
> Internet connection.

I think there are two sub cases here:
   - dealing with an end-user device, such as a cell phone
   - dealing with a managed device, such as a new network
     node in a corporate network

Getting a new temporary wireless connection is yet another one,
since there the service and device/user belong to different
administrative domains.

We must keep our thinking clear, in terms of administrative
domains.

> - Getting a certificate from a certificate authority based on a
> pre-established shared secret. For example, a VPN administrator might
> have told a corporate CA that anyone who uses a specific nonce should be
> given a certificate for any identity within a certain range, or a mail
> administrator has told a CA that anyone who is reachable on a particular
> mail server can get a certificate for mail usage.

I would be more specific here.  While I agree that the scenario
is interesting, I'd like to see some real life background.

> Do these usages make sense? Are there other significant ones that we
> want to include in the charter?

Yes, I think they make sense.  Here are the ones that were
discussed earlier:

> 1) "teleworker"
> 2) "grandma in the country" [grin]
> 3) "online billing"