[ietf-enroll] Charter

Alper Yegin alper at docomolabs-usa.com
Tue May 27 14:53:27 EDT 2003

Reading the charter of SACRED, and messages on this mailing list, I think
there may be some overlap between the ENROLL protocol and server-based
SACRED protocol. The end-result might be some protocol re-use between the
two. Note that IPSRA was being considered for both protocols at some point.

Alper

> SACRED is about credential portability.  ENROLL is about getting the
> credential in the first place.
>
> Russ
>

> At 10:33 PM 5/25/2003 -0700, Alper Yegin wrote:
>

>> It'd be useful to understand how this work relates to or differs from the
>> work SACRED WG is doing. Any comments on this?
>>
>> Alper
>>
>> On 4/28/03 12:03 PM, "Jim Schaad" <jimsch at nwlink.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is a candidate charter for people to take shots at.
>>>
>>> Description of Working Group:
>>>
>>> There are many cases where a user needs to obtain credential information
>>> from a service provider and provide for some type of information for
>>> validation of identity.  This working group will look at some of the
>>> cases dealing with the use of cryptographic algorithms for providing
>>> this information.
>>>
>>> When doing enrollment of a user against a service provider, three pieces
>>> of information need to be provided or created in order to support
>>> authentication of the user to the provider and to allow for additional
>>> security services to be provided any information exchanged.  These
>>> pieces of data are:
>>>
>>> 1.    The name of the entity being enrolled,
>>> 2.    A piece of keying information to be used
>>> 3.    A set of permissions for operations for the entity being
>>> enrolled.
>>>
>>> This group will create a model to be used in describing enrollment
>>> procedures and create a document for a framework how this is to be done.
>>> The group will then produce three documents profiling the use of the
>>> framework for the following cases:
>>>
>>> 1.    A shared secret key
>>> 2.    A base asymmetric key