[ietf-enroll] Updated Charter

Jim Schaad jimsch at nwlink.com
Wed May 14 03:21:36 EDT 2003

Alper,

Let me think on this.

> > This working group will look at
> > some of the cases dealing with the use of cryptographic
> algorithms for
> > providing this information.
> >
> > When doing enrollment of a service consumer against a service
> > provider,
>
> "service consumer". maybe we should call it "client", simpler
> and more familiar term.

Actually I went to "service consumer" just to get away from the familiar
term at this time.  To many people "client" implies a person, and we
want to deal with a "client machine" as well.

> A short enumaration of types of services would help, just as
> examples...

I think this goes into the model document and not the charter.

> > three pieces of information need to be provided or created
> in order to
> > support authentication of the service consumer to the
> service provider
> > (and visa versa) and to allow for additional security
> services to be
> > provided any information exchanged.  These pieces of data are:
> >
> > 1.    The  "entity label" for the service consumer,
>
> What is this supposed to be? A dynamic identifier assigned to
> the client by the service provider?

It could be assigned by either the comsumer or provider.

> > 2.    A piece of keying information to be used
> > 3.    A set of permissions for operations for the service consumer.
>
> #3 sounds like "authorization parameters.", is that right?

No - It could be a list of desired services if sent from consumer to
provider.

> > Each of these data items could be created by either the consumer or
> > provider at any point during the enrollment process.
>
> Saying each can be determined by any parties might be
> misleading. For example, authorization parameters cannot be
> solely determined by the client. The service provider has to
> at least agree with what the client proposes.

This would be refined in the model document.

> > This group will create a model to be used in describing enrollment
> > procedures and create a document for a framework how this is to be
> > done.
>
> I think we are talking about dynamically performing enrolment
> over the network. If so, we should clearly state that. A
> counter example, which fits the above text but (I hope) not
> our intentions is: Making the credentials available on a
> SIM/smart card, client buys the card from a store, and
> inserts in to the device, done.

This is one of the possible senerios that we need to be looking at.

> > The group will then produce three documents profiling the
> use of the
> > framework for the following cases:
> >
> > 1.    A shared secret key
> > 2.    A bare asymmetric key
> > 3.    A bound asymmetric key (e.g. an X.509 certificate).
>
> I assume the above list means "enrolment procedure in the
> presence of , say, a shared secret key between the client and
> the service provider." , etc. It'd be useful to explicitly state this.

No, what this means is that the cryptographic key used for later
authentication is a shared key,....