[ietf-enroll] Updated Charter

Robert Moskowitz rgm-sec at htt-consult.com
Tue May 13 17:10:16 EDT 2003

Fixed my filters......

At 11:26 PM 5/11/2003 -0700, Jim Schaad wrote:

>Description of Working Group:
>
>There are many cases where a service consumer needs to obtain credential

exchange credentials

Might be better wording?  Se below.

>information from a service provider and provide for some type of
>information for validation of identity.  This working group will look at
>some of the cases dealing with the use of cryptographic algorithms for
>providing this information.
>
>When doing enrollment of a service consumer against a service provider,
>three pieces of information need to be provided or created in order to
>support authentication of the service consumer to the service provider
>(and visa versa)

visa versa sounds like an exchange to me.

>  and to allow for additional security services to be
>provided any information exchanged.  These pieces of data are:
>
>1.      The  "entity label" for the service consumer,
>2.      A piece of keying information to be used
>3.      A set of permissions for operations for the service consumer.
>
>Each of these data items could be created by either the consumer or
>provider at any point during the enrollment process.

created by either is better handled in an exchange than an obtain.

>This group will create a model to be used in describing enrollment
>procedures and create a document for a framework how this is to be done.
>The group will then produce three documents profiling the use of the
>framework for the following cases:
>
>1.      A shared secret key
>2.      A bare asymmetric key
>3.      A bound asymmetric key (e.g. an X.509 certificate).
>
>As part of the validation of the framework, the group will examine how
>other real world enrollment procedures could be profiled.  (An example
>of this would be credit card usage.)
>
>Goals and Milestones:
>
>Sept 2003       First draft of model
>Dec 2003        Last call on model document
>Nov 2003        First draft of Framework document

This is perhaps a staffing issue, but seems like the Framework can be well
underway once we have a 'good' draft of the model.  But hey, it is always
good to beat dates.

>April 2004      Last call on module document

You mean Framework document?

>March 2004      First draft of secret key profile
>March 2004      First draft of bare asymmetric key profile
>March 2004      First draft of bound asymmetric key profile
>Aug 2004        Last call on secret key profile
>Aug 2004        Last call on bare asymmetric key profile
>Aug 2004        Last call on bound asymmetric key profile

Robert Moskowitz
TruSecure Corporation
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec at htt-consult.com