[ietf-enroll] Charter discussion

Max Pritikin pritikin at cisco.com
Mon May 5 12:38:59 EDT 2003

Folks,

I sent some very basic thoughts on introduction to the list a bit ago
but haven't seen much discussion. I've seen this taken before as general
acceptance, or alternatively it means nobody read my mail.

To summarize still further:

It is my feeling that the basic enrollment problem we should be
addressing is the question of "out-of-band" data exchange. The various
enrollment protocols involve some exchange of out-of-band data (key
material and configuration). It is this exchange that is most costly and
problematic and varies significantly for each protocol. I feel we should
develop a standard model and protocol for this mechanism.

This Introduction process is pre-enrollment and can be well defined. It
is key type and data agnostic (symmetric or asymmetric keys can be used)
and can be used prior to any of the existing enrollment mechanisms. This
simplicity lends itself to success.

Does anybody have any questions or comments on this line of reasoning?

	- Max